Thai Soup with Lime
Fructose Free Lactose Free Gluten Free Can be Vegan
This recipe was adapted from one provided by my friend Adam. It is an easy soup that is warming but fresh at the same time. Perfect!
- 100g Fine Rice Noodles
- 1.25 litres Fructose Free Stock
- 1-2 Red Chilli, finely sliced
- 1 small thumb fresh Ginger, peeled and cut into very thin slices
- Grated zest of 1 small Lemon
- Grated zest of 1 small Lime
- 2 tbsp Thai Fish sauce
- 350g Chicken Breast cut into thin strips or use leftover meat picked from a roast (to avoid meat, use cubed firm tofu)
- 250ml light Coconut Milk
- 70g finely shredded Cabbage (not savoy)
- 1 large Carrot, cut into very fine matchsticks
- 4 tbsp Lemon and/or Lime juice
- 1 small handful shredded Coriander leaves, plus sprigs for serving
- 4 Spring Onions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Lime wedges, cut lengthways, for serving
- arge Saucepan
- Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock, chilli, garlic, ginger, fruit zest and fish sauce, place over medium heat and simmer for five minutes. Add the chicken meat (or tofu) and coconut milk, simmer for five minutes, then add the cabbage and carrot, and simmer until just tender.
- Add the noodles, lemon or lime juice, spring onions and coriander, and cook until the noodles are warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more fish sauce if you like and the vinegar if you feel it needs a bit more tang.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander and with lime wedges on the side, to squeeze over.