Tofu & Sweetcorn Soup
Serves 2 as a light meal, or 6 as a starter
Contains sweetcorn Can be Gluten Free Lactose Free Vegetarian
When it gets really cold, it means it is time for soup. This recipe contains sweetcorn, which is fine in the amount listed but be conscious of loading across the whole of the meal. If you are a committed meat eater then you can swap the tofu for chicken, use chicken thighs and cook as per the tofu, just ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 300g Firm Tofu, cut into 1cm cubes
- 5cm piece root Ginger, crushed
- 1.2l Fructose Free Stock
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Corn Cob, kernels cut off or 80g canned sweetcorn
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Toasted sesame seeds and soy sauce to garnish (omit soy sauce if making it gluten/soya free)
- 1 very large saucepan
- Small bowl
- Heatproof spoon
- Heat the oil and asfoetida for one minute, in your large saucepan, on a medium heat
- Turn the heat up to high and add in the ginger and tofu. Cook for 4-5 minutes turning regularly, until the tofu is lightly golden on each side.
- Whilst this is cooking blend the cornflour with a little stock, in a small bowl, so it is liquid. Add this to the ginger and tofu with the remaining stock and the sweetcorn, stirring continuously otherwise the cornflour will solidify. Bring to the boil, still stirring constantly and simmer gently for 5-7 minutes.
- Beat together the egg and lemon juice and then slowly trickle it into the soup pan, whilst stirring constantly with a fork to make egg strands. Season to taste.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with the sesame seeds. Then (if using) drizzle a little bit of soy sauce at a few points in the soup, so dark dots are formed. Serve.