Makes 4-6 Burgers
Fructose Free Can be Gluten Free Lactose Free
Hamburgers are the must have item for any BBQ. When we were living in Australia they were a main stay of our existence. This is a really easy recipe, perfect for chucking together for an impromptu get together. It is one that you need to get your hands dirty with though, so whilst it is great to do with kids it may not be ideal if you are squeamish about touching meat! Most people with fructose malabsorption can manage the small amount of garlic present in ketchup but in case you cannot I have done this version with the slightly longer blended tomatoes method.
- 500g Beef Mince
- 1 tsp Asafoedita
- 1 Egg
- 1 handful Breadcrumbs or Cornflake crumbs (1.5 handfuls if you are barbecuing) - to make it gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp crushed Coriander Seeds
- ¼ tsp Chipotle Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard (check ingredients for a low fodmap version)
- 50g Canned Diced Tomatoes OR (depending on your garlic tolerance) 1 tbsp of Ketchup
- Large Bowl
- If using the diced tomatoes version, then you will also need a blender
- Place the mince meat in the bowl and sprinkle in 1/2 tsp asafoedita, trying to spread it across the meat so it does not clump together. Add in the egg, breadcrumbs/cornflakes, chipotle, cumin and coriander. Squish together with your hands, mixing all the ingredients into the meat and breaking the mince up. Sprinkle the other 1/2 tsp asafoedita on top, again avoiding it clumping together, and mush again.
- If using the diced tomatoes version then blend these until smooth. Then take 1 tbsp of the blended tomato (discarding the rest) and add it to the meat (if you are using the ketchup then add this instead) and at the same time add the wholegrain mustard. Mush again with your hands until the mustard and tomato/ketchup are all fully combined.
- Using your hands, mould the meat into 4-6 even sized patties, 1cm in depth.
- Grill the patties for 6 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other (a bit longer if you are barbecuing them) or until they are cooked through
- Serve with gluten free buns, cucumber and sun-dried or fresh tomatoes