Quinoa & Bread Salad
Serves 6 as a side dish or 2-3 as a main meal
Fructose Free Can be Gluten Free Can be Lactose Free Vegetarian
This easy salad is healthy and filling. It works just as well as a side dish as a main meal. For the main meal it is advisable to use the feta, for some additional protein.
- 100g Quinoa (cooked in water, according to the package instructions)
- 250g Slices Spelt Bread, about 6 slices (to make it gluten free, use gluten free bread)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing on the bread
- 4 Medium, Ripe Tomatoes
- 3 Lebanese Cucumbers or 1 Large Cucumber
- 2 Spring Onions, green part only, sliced
- 4 tbsp Coriander, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¾ tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 150g Feta Cheese, cut into ½ cm cubes (optional but a good idea if you are making a main meal. Leave out for those who are lactose intolerant)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush the bread with a little olive oil, or if you have an oil spray then use that instead, and sprinkle with salt. Lay the slices on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning once. You want the bread to be completely dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then break the bread up by hand, into bite sized pieces.
- Dice the tomatoes and cucumber into 1cm pieces and put into a very large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients, including the quinoa and croutons. Stir gently until fully combined.
- Season to taste and serve
- If you are making this for a packed lunch then keep the bread separate and add only when you serve.