Chunky Vegetable Tortilla Soup
Fructose Free Lactose Free Gluten Free Vegan
For the Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 Yellow Peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 Large Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 2 Fructose Free Stock Cubes
- 1 x 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 Spring Onions, green part only, finely sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
For the Garnishes
- ½ Ripe Avocado
- 1 Lime
- 1 Fresh Green Chilli, finely sliced
- 2 Large Handfuls of Tortilla Chips
- 1 tsp Dried Sage
- Olive Oil
- Large Saucepan
- Mixing Spoon
- Small Bowl
- Baking Tray
- In the saucepan heat the olive oil over a low-to-medium heat. Add the asafoetida and cook for a minute. Add in the carrots and peppers and fry gently for 10-15 minutes until softened, stirring periodically, so they do not catch on the bottom.
- Add the chopped fresh tomatoes, bay leaves, crumble in the stock cubes and add the tinned tomatoes. Pour in 2 tomato tins worth of water, then increase the heat and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- While your soup cooks, peel and stone the avocado and dice into 1cm cubes. Place in the small bowl, grate over the zest of the lime and squeeze in the juice, mix well.
- Lay the tortilla chips on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the dried sage. Heat in the oven for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Check on your soup, if you want it to be thicker then leave it to cook for longer, if you want it to be more liquid then add more water. Add in the spring onions and vinegar, season and stir. Taste and add more vinegar or seasoning, to taste.
- Once you are happy with the taste of the soup, divide the soup between four bowls, place some of the tortilla chips on top and then garnish with the avocado and chilli. Serve.