Smoked Aubergine/Eggplant Dip
Fructose Free Lactose Free Gluten Free Vegetarian
This dip is my piece de resistance. If I want to impress my guests then this is what I serve. It is an absolute crowd pleaser and whilst I always make extras, so we have some for the next day, it always all seems to go! It is an adaptation of a recipe from Ottolenghi's book, Jerusalem, which is well worth a purchase.
- 750g Aubergine/Eggplant (about 2 medium aubergines)
- 1 ½ tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Grill Tray, lined with aluminium foil
- Sharp Knife
- Heatproof Tongs
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Set your grill to "high"
- Cut deep slashes on all sides of the aubergine/eggplant, then place them under the hot grill. Turn them every 15-20minutes, using your tongs to protect your hands, so that all the skin ends up crisp, blackened and burnt, whilst the flesh becomes soft.
- When the aubergine is cooked, remove from the grill. Allow to cool for a bit and then remove the soft flesh and place it in the colander (discard the burnt skin) and allow to drain for about an hour to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
- Once drained, remove the aubergine/eggplant from the colander, chop roughly and add to the mixing bowl along with the mayonnaise, parsley and salt. Stir to combine, season to taste and serve.